Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

My daughter, 26 lives at home and is the first of three children,

My daughter, 26 lives at home and is the first of three children, every so often she brings up the subject about how much she does for me (mother) and I only care about her two brothers more than her. I have tried to explain that this is not the case and this just wears me out as I love my daughter very much. She has a Psychologist degree and is well educated. How can I help as she drains me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.

You have discovered that education has not relationship to emotions or perceptions. Your daughter's perception is that you favor her brothers. Your protests will fall upon deaf ears. She will believe what she wants to believe. There is no way you can change her mind on this belief.

You may be able to get through this by offering to go to therapy with her. If you see a family therapist, maybe she will be able to process this resentment she has for you. Maybe you can also come to an agreement of what you can do to show her that she is loved and that her brothers are not favored. This is best done with a mediator, a mental health professional.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Warm regards,