Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

i have a completely irrational fear of shitting myself all

i have a completely irrational fear of shitting myself all the time which limits my ability to absorb the world around me and completely be comfortable in my surroundings. It is irrational and has never happened but i cant relax and at times when i am sad or depressed or even over excited it is usually much worse. i do suffer a little from ibs but the manifestation of anxiety is not in proportion to the ibs i suffer.
does this stem from some weird old memory and am i likely to be able to easily overcome it with propfessional help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.
Hello:

Your symptoms are consistent with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) which includes irrational fears that are intrusive and cause problems with daily activities. If you want to overcome this without professional help, I suggest medication. The SSRI antidepressants do a good job of reducing obsessive thoughts, although they should be taken in higher doses to be effective.

If you are willing to go to therapy, you should try cognitive-behavioral therapy, which will help you change the way you think about events in your life and also make behavioral changes to support the new way of thinking.

Let me know if you have further questions about this.

I wish you well.