Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

Im currently 16 weeks pregnant, and working as an instrumental

I'm currently 16 weeks pregnant, and working as an instrumental music teacher in 6 schools. I have a history of anxiety and depression, but am currently off al medication/treatement. I am so stressed about my job, for no good reason, that I can barely get out of bed in the morning, spend my home hours weeping which is causing my relationship with my husband to suffer. I haven't slept well at all for the last 3 nights, and its just getting worse. I feel 'bound' to work up u mntill December, but only by myself, not my employer, and I feel sooo stuck and depressed... what should i do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.

I realize that medications and therapy have not helped in the past, but you really need to get back on some type of medication; have you tried Prozac? It has been approved for pregnant and nursing mothers. You also could benefit from cognitive-behavioral therapy. You need to work with your therapist on changing how you think. For example, you feel bound to work until December, but your employer has no such expectation. You are much too hard on yourself and have really high expectations. This must stop. You need to be more gentle with yourself and allow yourself to be less than perfect. This means therapy.

Please call the doctor and get on Prozac or whatever the doctor recommends. Then find a cognitive-behavioral therapist and start working on your thoughts and behaviors.

This is treatable. I wish you and your family the best.
Warm regards,