Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

Hello, Which drug will you recommended for the treatment of paranoid schizophrenia, Ola

Which drug will you recommended for the treatment of paranoid schizophrenia, Olanzapine or Abilify? Since I been trying olanzapiine, my memory seems to be depreciating, do you think abilify will be of any good. Please if possible, you can e-mail me you suggestion [email protected]

We are not allowed to email people personally, sorry. I think Abilify is the better choice, and if you haven't tried Risperdal, that may be a better choice than Abilify. Olanzapine has too many negative side effects and I would not recommend it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Carol Kryder,

Thanks for the answer you gave. Also, please I want to find out, do you think my memory would become as sharp as it use to if I start using Risperdal, because I have been on olanzapine for about 3 years. I am very much concern about my cognition because I am a student and can afford anything to dampen my memory and concentration. Hope to hear from you soon.

Hi Emmanuel:

The simple answer is that if it is the olanzapine which is causing the memory and concentration problems, yes, switching to another drug should make it better. However, if those problems are from something else, you may need to examine the causes further.

The best idea is to talk to your doctor about the symptoms you are having and ask for a different medication. Then watch for an improvement of your symptoms. You will have your answer if memory and concentration get better. If not, you are dealing with something else, and you need to see a neurologist.

Best to you.