Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

I have terrible mood swings, i have huge anger outbursts and

I have terrible mood swings, i have huge anger outbursts and its affecting my marriage and my kids are becoming scared, i am weepy, and feel detached from every day life, i have also been bulimic for 13 years and generally and feel low most of the, this happens for about a week out of every month, so i assumed it was severe PMT, but it seems to be getting worse and the anger outbursts i am feeling unable to control my anger and i am scared. does this sound like bipolar? I am popular and outgoing and people say i am fun to be around and have a real caring side, but i feel i have two personalities. Help i am so confused.

I have suffered from this since about 14 i am now 36, i don;t want my kids to grow up with this, my dad had the same symptoms and i grew up in fear of his mood swings, could it be herediatry?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning,

The mood swings may be caused by different things.

1/ a bipolar disorder or at least cyclothymia

2/ people who are not in the bipolar spectrum but are depressed can have these symptoms (anger/irritability)

3/ a mood disorder can be hereditary.

4/ hormonal changes (drop of estrogen) if you are on any birth control, it also depletes the body from magnesium (magnesium has a calming/anti anxiety effect) If you find yourself having the mood swings primarily around the time of your menstrual cycle, then if may be a case of PMDD.

The good news- mood disorders and hormonal changes are treatable easily with medication. Anger management can be learned during counseling or even hypnotherapy.

Your first step would be to get a face to face evaluation by a psychiatrist (possibly a female ) Then, you may consider having a hormonal panel blood test done by your OB. It would show if there were any hormonal concerns.

There had been studies that show that supplementation with Omega 3 fatty acids decreases anger/irritability and alleviates depression.

There are different options to address your concern (depending on what you would like to explore)

Hypnosis for Overcoming Anger (Hypnotic Empowerment Series) by Janet I. C. Decker and Hypnotherapys Services (Audio CD - May 17, 2007)

Edited by Dr. Rossi on 7/15/2010 at 1:18 PM EST