Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

Hi Annie; Since we talked last there has been few ppositive

Hi Annie;
Since we talked last there has been few ppositive changes. My son has finally come to be with me at my house.
He seems okay except for few senseless habits:
He won't take a shower or change his clothes
He won't shave
He knows he smells and his idea of a shower now for 10 days is to go behind the shed in my yard and take a baby powder shower.
I would appreciate it if you could coach me, to convince him.
Are there any mind tools to do so?
He is in denial, he doesn't think that his mind is impaired. He refuses to seek more psychological help at this time.
My husband who is the step father is growing tired of this situation and we are getting into heated arguments instead of being on the same page,
I need coaching and help.
Thanks again Annie,
Nayla
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
Hey Nayla,

I'm glad your son is at least safe with you and you can monitor him...thats a step in the right direction. I'm sorry that there isn't a mind trick or sure-fire way to convince him to get help...the minute someone thinks of one, they'll be a millionaire.

It's clear that he's having a psychotic episode and needs medical help, but unfortunately unless he says he wants to hurt himself or someone else (or acts on that), it's almost impossible to force treatment upon him. You can call an ambulance to come and get him, and they can do it, and he'll at least get evaluated and medicated once. His lack of hygiene might get him declared unable to perform the functions of daily living, which is one possible criteria for commitment. You never know if you have a window of opportunity or clarity that will work, so you just have to keep trying to create them.

I'm sorry that I don't have better information for you. Keep doing whatever you did that got him to move back home.

With your husband...try not to argue against each other, but side with him in his frustration with you son's mental illness. Take the stance that both of you are facing this together...that no one wants this to be happening, and if anyone could change it, they would.

My best to you, Anna
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am looking to commit him yet. I am looking for ways to convince him to take a shower and step forward with my support.
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

I don't know what to tell you, but that NAMI will be a better resource of that front than I will. It's a shot in the dark right now, as you know. You're on the frontlines, so I would trust your gut.

Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.