Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

Im not happy. My boyfriend and i love each other so much,

I'm not happy. My boyfriend and i love each other so much, and he's such a wonderful guy, but we fight all the time. I'm stubborn and quick tempered. He's passionate and dominant. We are both intelligent and successful, and have very busy jobs - too busy to keep up with our health. We're both 20lbs overweight and he's got high cholesterol. Feels like the weight of the world is on our shoulders. When something goes wrong, either he, or I, or both of us become so lethargic/incapacitated and it takes at least a day to recover. He loves me more than anything and wears his heart on his sleeve, and we share the same dreams of family, etc, but we have so much stress to deal with to the point where we feel so ineffectual, and believe that we are meant to continually struggle in life. I almost feel numb and all i know how to do is be defensive and argumentative. I don't know how to practice compassionate listening and I find myself crying every 3 days from feeling overwhelmed or pessimistic. Please help. Another doctor here just told me that i'm too hard on myself, but that just didn't seem to help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

You sound like you've got the classic symptoms of Clinical Depression. Perhaps both of you have it. Your crying, the fighting, temper, anhedonia, numb, less attention span...all these are signs of depression. I'm surprised your doctor missed it, but I would recommend that you return to a physician after reading the link I'm going to give you. When there, use the words in the article so that you're speaking in his language. You can even print it out and bring it with you.

I think you're going to be very happy once this is treated.

Depression

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna