Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

Hello,I have a friend who lives in Australia and told me about

Hello,I have a friend who lives in Australia and told me about being epileptic and bipolar.The last when I have spoken to him on -line was 1st June 2010.He told me he is very busy as he is moving and contact me as soon as he gets a chance.As he played a very popular game on facebook Farmville I noticed now and then he was on computer but he never contacted me,then at the very end of June he withdraw himself from facebook,and his e-mail address shows being non existant.I just would like to understand whether he is going through depression or how shall I understand such a sudden act (dissapearance) from him???
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

He may be experiencing the 'conservation withdrawal' that occurs when a person starts to hit a low spot or depression. They pull back from outside contact because it takes too much energy. He may also feel the need to get off the computer & computer games because he's gotten too far into them in a manic phase. It's hard to tell from here, but he may also want to end your interactions for some other reason.

People with bipolar come and go when they're not medicated properly, but if he is, he may just want to move on and start fresh. If it's untreated bipolar, he'll most likely swing back and try to reconnect. If this is a romantic situation, I wouldn't be waiting for him to return. He'll contact you if he wants to, and if he doesn't, you should assume first that it's a conscious decision. Always remember that bipolar patients are people with personalities preferences first, and that most decisions come from that place. How and when they get delivered can be skewed, but there is often a grain of truth in their communications or cut offs.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Anna,you helped me a lot,and you ansvers will very similar what I was thinking but of course you as a professional knew the right explanations.The only thing is he is not on facebook at all not even in his closest people like his friends,brother etc that made me a little bit worried that something might have happened (he got hospitalized or he has harmed himself)because it looks like "he is not on this planet"-sorry to describe it this way but I cannot find other words,but you helped me to understand bipolar person's behavior-which is big step forward.I am very grateful.

You're very welcome. I understand what you mean by 'off the planet' as I use it to describe the situation you're in right now also. We say that someone fell off the planet when they disappear. You're thinking the right things...he could have gone to ground and be depressed and isolated (which would be my first thought, but then I have to remember that not every behavior stems from a person's mental illness). But even if that's the case, there isn't much you or family members can do if he's an adult. It's very frustrating.

The main thing is for you to not take it personally. I'd send up a flag of concern to the family and then move on.