Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

I think my mom has BPD, how can I get her the help she nee

I think my mom has BPD, how can I get her the help she needs? She is absolutely crazy, because she thinks that everyone else is crazy. Truely, she has ripped the entire family apart with her compulsive and irregular behavior. I don't know how to deal with her. And I myself, being 18 and having lived with her my whole life worry that I have picked up her bad behaviors!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

There is a great site that you'll benefit from...BPD Central. It has the book called Walking On Eggshells book
You'll learn what is really going on and ways to cope, which will be very important to you as you grow up.

Learn to set your boundaries so that her perceptions of reality don't intrude into your world. She won't be able to stop that flow, so you'll have to learn how to do it. The important thing is to know that her needs are not your to-do list. Her pain is not your life. You have your own life and deserve to life it to it's fullest...no matter how loud her protestations are. Get help for yourself first. When you're set and stable, then consider inviting her to seek help with you, but you're going to have to carve out your own life no matter what effect it has on her. It's not cruel, it's just the nature of the situation. You can love her with all your heart, but you also have to love yourself and do what it takes to move forward with your life and sort things out.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna

Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.