Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

I am looking for a psychiatrist who can help me with what I

I am looking for a psychiatrist who can help me with what I consider relatively mild obsessive-compulsive behaviour and a more severe problem with addiction to pornography. These are causing a significant strain in my relationship with my wife who I love very much. I am an otherwise healthy 79- year old. My wife is 17 years younger. We live in Cambridge , Maryland. In addition to Cambridge, I would consider being treated in Easton MD, Annapolis and perhaps even DC.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

Since you're currently motivated to change, I'd recommend that you get started right away by learning more about sexual compulsivity and all that it entails. There are a couple versions of treatment out there that are showing positive results, but all entail an element of accountability to another person. The highest success rates are for men who attend groups specific to this problem, as it breaks the pattern of shame and provides an avenue for accountability.

Here are some resources to get you started:
SA This is a peer led group system with free meetings in the US.
web This is an excellent website for both you and your wife and provides great, reliable information and tools to help support your change.

local addictions counselor
r with experience in CBT (very successful in sex addiction treatment)
What getting help looks like

treatment professionals I don't see any specifically specialized counselors in your immediate area, but there are 2 in Maryland.

That should get you started on your way.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna