Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

can my 4 year old have adhd or is it too young to diagnose,

Customer Question

can my 4 year old have adhd or is it too young to diagnose, he is due to start school in september and im so worried as he stuggles to sit still and only listens when he is interested in what ever it is he is being shown. He cant wait his turn and doesnt understand that he has to wait for things, these are just a few of the things.when he is interested in something he will play with it for very long periods eg playdo sand. He is always climbing. Very loving and happy little boy.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

A 4 year old certainly can be diagnosed with ADHD, but unless it's severe, the doctors usually want to wait till they're in school for treatment. So many children will show signs of hyperactivity that will settle out when they get into the structure and peer pressure of school. It helps them start to learn to control their brain (although they don't know thats what is going on of course), and lets you see how much intervention they may really need. I would keep up with the fish oil and give him lots of time for physical activity. Keep an eye on it and I would recommend that you start a journal with the symptoms you see marked down once each month. It will help when you do need to start treatment.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna