Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

My 4 year old was diginous with ADHD 3 months ago. The dr changed

Customer Question

My 4 year old was diginous with ADHD 3 months ago. The dr changed hid meds from mededate cr CD 10mg capsules to adderol 5 mg 1/2 to 1 tablet twice a day. He has been on the new meds for a week, but has been having alot of diarreah very bad. He can't even make it to the bathroom at times, and he has never been this way. He is complaining of his stomach hurting. Is this something I should be concerned about. I tryed to call his dr today but have not heard anything back yet. His appetite has decreased tremendously, and I am concerned that the adderol may be causes this. Is it to soon to say it is the med, since he has only taken it a week?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
The loss of appetite is definitely from the Adderall and stomach ache is common at first. I rarely hear of diarrhea but I am sure it is a possibility. The loss of appetite will not go away and so he must be fed breakfast before taking his medication and dinner after it has worn off. He probably will not eat a good lunch so see if he will drink a Carnation Instant Breakfast and call it a malted milk.

Hopefully you will hear from the MD about the diarrhea soon. But my guess is he will day to "ride it out" and that side effect will go away.

Good luck. Please press accept if satisfied...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He does eat breakfast, but his daycare teacher, says he will not eat lunch and he has not eaten dinner in 3 days, he tells us his stomach hurts and he is not hungry! He was never like this on the mededate, but it was changed because it was so expensive and our insurance would not cover it. The amout of diarrhea is what is concerning me the most.

He will not become dehydrated from the diarrhea as long as he will drink some clear liquids such as water or white soda. Also, give him the BRAT diet to stop the diarrhea...

B banana
R rice
A applesauce or apple with peel
T toast and clear liquids (forget the milk until the diarrhea goes away)

Good luck