Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

I am a husband that is controlling, verbally abusive, and does

I am a husband that is controlling, verbally abusive, and does not pay attention to my wife.Now there might be someone else paying her more attention then me. Now I regret it. I love my wife and I want to save my marriage. What is your advice?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.

Congratulations for admitting your part in this problem. You need to take your wife out to a romantic dinner and tell her that you understand you have been controlling, neglectful and verbally abusive and you will get immediate individual therapy for those bad habits. Then do it immediately. Even better, make the appointment and go to the therapist before the romantic dinner.

Once you have followed through on that, suggest that you both go for couples counseling to see if the marriage can be saved. No guarantees here, but if you show her you are willing to fight for her and your marriage things might turn around.

Let me know if you have further questions. I wish you the best.