Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

My son is almost 30 and cant seem to move out of our home.

My son is almost 30 and can't seem to move out of our home. i have had anxiety disorder all my life and for the last 10 years have taken Paxil and now am a new person. how do i get my son to talk to me about his anxieties and maybe try medication? i have tried for many years to help him with no success. my husband doesn't want to push our son to move out. Our son has a part time job that he says he hates but won't look for anything else or go back to school. Help.

Your son is 30 years old and appears to be depressed. Your only option is for you and your husband BOTH to give him an ultimatum: either he sees the doctor and gets help or he is out. I know you don't want him out, but depression by its nature causes isolation and a stubborn refusal to get help. Your son needs to be forced, and the threat of kicking him out is the only way to do it. You can tell him this in a gentle but firm manner, no need for an angry tone. Tell him you are worried and care about him and it is too painful to watch him continue to harm himself this way.

I am sorry to sound so harsh, but his life is at stake, here. You need to implement some tough love to get him to help himself.

Let me know if you have further questions. I wish you well.