Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families
37122071

So my 5 year old is interested in showing and touching his

So my 5 year old is interested in showing and touching his private parts and instigating that of another male child. Is exploring your body at this age normal is the growth process and with teh same sex. The other childs parents are disturbed.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your important question,
Yes this behavior is very normal curiosity about the body common to 5 year old children. Because it is including a playmate/peer, it is also an opportunity to teach him about privacy. He can be told that that is a private body part that we do not share with others. You can start to talk about privacy in the bathroom (going potty and taking a bath). Insist on your privacy and respect his. Make sure the door is closed for him and that he knocks on closed doors before entering. Tell him that looking or touching his friends private parts may be uncomfortable to them and, ABOVE ALL, no one should touch his body parts except parent during bathing (and it may be time to teach him all self care regarding his bathing). He may have figured out that touching his genitals feel good and masturbation behaviors are not uncommon at this age. Then, he should be taught that this too is a private activity not to be done only when alone (but don't bring this up unless you notice this behavior).
I hope this helps. Please press ACCEPT if it does. Thanks
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience: 35 years experience counseling children and families