Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

Whats the best way to overcome claustrophobia / fear of flying

Customer Question

What's the best way to overcome claustrophobia / fear of flying? Are there any medications to help with the anticipatory anxiety?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

There are anti-anxiety medications that you can take to reduce the fight-or-flight response that is triggered too often in people with phobias and anxiety - they work very well. You can speak with your doctor (any doctor) about getting help for this and they can evaluate you for medication treatment.

The next thing to add to the mix is CBT, which you can start to learn about right now through this's a great free self-help CBT resource.

Clinical hypnosis is also a great way to rid yourself of a phobia. Desensitization therapy with a counselor is also a good way to go about it. I would recommend medication and CBT to start and then move to the other two ideas if the CBT didn't work for you alone.

phobia videos

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.