Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.

i was diagnosed in south carolina with psychogenic motion disorder.

i was diagnosed in south carolina with psychogenic motion disorder. (musc, medical university of south carolina) unexpectedly i had to move out of state to florida and have not found a neuro psychiatrist. i've gone to 2 psychiatrist and one neurologist and either they didn't know the disorder or they blamed it on depression. i am bi polar and have had no trouble until i've been unable to find a doctor. doctors blame it on depression which i wasn't until everybody kept telling me i was. one of the psychiatrist wants me in the hospital to detox from my meds. i am refusing to do so at this point. all these unnessary tests and procedures are expensive and none of the doctors take into account dr hinson's diagnosis before leaving sc my dr vanessa hinson, director of motion disorders and who helped with research and is published on this disorder sent me for all kinds of test to rule out anything else this can be. she stands by her diagnosis. part of the disorder has symptoms from other disorders. i am in the ft lauderdale area of florida and don't know where else to find a neuropsychiatrist or a psychiatrist who has knowledge of this disorder or who is willing to do a little research. i've been told it's too time consuming. where can i go for help. my mind cannot handle anymore stupidity. thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Looking at research on PMD, it looks like there is a hospital-based neurology clinic in your area that has been writing about this disorder. It's called the Cleveland Clinic. Their neurology department appears to have specialists in movement disorders (the umbrella category under which PMD falls). I would contact them to see if they are accepting new patients and if they aren't do they know of other neurologists in the area who work with movement disorders.

Best wishes,