Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

REGARDING SERATONIN AND ENDORPHIN WHEN ONE STARTS DRINKING

REGARDING SERATONIN AND ENDORPHIN: WHEN ONE STARTS DRINKING AND HAS TIME GOES ON...HOW IS THE SERATONIN AND ENDORPHIN AFFECTED?
Hello:

You asked about serotonin and endorphins but really want to know why others have a higher tolerance for alcohol than you. That part is easy: people with a high tolerance for alcohol - who can drink others under the table - are very likely on their way to alcoholism. One of the signs and symptoms of alcoholism is high tolerance for alcohol.

As for the serotonin and endorphins, alcohol competes for the same receptors in the brain which is why you get that pleasant "buzz" when you drink. Unfortunately, after the alcohol is processed by the liver one feels the let down that we call "hangover."

I could go on, but I think your question has been answered. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
...regarding serotonin and endorphins...then...and with the use of alcohol. Does this possibly affect some that are bi-polar? or start to become bi-polar?
Hello:
Yes, alcohol definitely impacts brain chemistry, so folks with anxiety, depression and bipolar disorder may have a huge change in behavior when drinking. In fact, many people who are bipolar medicate with alcohol or marijuana and it is hard to tell whether or not they are bipolar until they have been clean and sober for a period of months. By medicate I mean they will try to minimize the feelings of either mania or depression by using alcohol or marijuana. It is quite common, actually.