Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

My sister is going through this, it pains me to watch. She

My sister is going through this, it pains me to watch. She seems aware of all the destructive behavior that she is put through and has many of the warning signs, but just says she can't leave because they are his kids too and he has made her afraid that he will take them from her if she leaves. I told her to look up Psych abuse on the internet and hope she takes my advise. What can a woman do to escape this situation when she has kids?
Your sister is a victim of domestic abuse and she needs to contact the local battered women's shelter for assistance. She also needs to consult a lawyer, most of them will give a free consult, and find out what her rights are. She will most likely not lose her children if she stays in therapy, but she needs to do something now. Doing nothing will just allow things to get worse and not only will she suffer but so will her children.

Offer to go to see the lawyer with her and also call the battered womens' shelter and offer to go with her. She needs as much support as you can give.

You have a rough road ahead, but stick with it. I wish you both the best.

Warm regards,