Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

I am dealing with issues with step son, his crazy mother and

I am dealing with issues with step son, his crazy mother and resentment toward the father of the child ( the husband) for spoiling the kid. I was told that my issues with the step son go way too far beyond the help of "just answer". What kind of mental health specialist should I go to? Psychologist? family services? I am very very angry at the pretty much dead end situation where the kid and his mother run my house. We have the kid 50% of the time, and it takes me another 25% of the time to recover from these visits.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.
I know you are frustrated but this situation is totally out of your control. If the mother is crazy and the father overcompensates by spoiling the kid what can you possibly do to change this? The answer is NOTHING.

Please make an appointment with a family therapist who has experience with blended family issues and go by yourself. You must learn to let go of this. He is not your kid, and his parents are ruining him, yes, but you have no leverage here. Get some help for yourself or your marriage is in deep jeopardy.

You have a rough road ahead. Please get support for yourself.

Warm regards,