Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

My question is a little complicated but here it is. I have

My question is a little complicated but here it is. I have a problem urniating in public. Some people call it shy bladder. I get the urge to urinate and when I go to the bathroom I have a problem starting. If it is a small public bathroom and someone walks in, forget it, I cant urinate. I have been to a urologist who put me on Flomax that has help me some what to control the urge and empty my bladder. I feel that this is a psycholgical issue I have that I should seek treatment for. I am 50+ and have been dealing with this for about half my life and am at the point that I feel I need to do something about it.

Your symptoms are part of the umbrella of issues called Social Anxiety. People with social anxiety have difficulty eating, writing, speaking or urinating in public. It is more common than you might think.

My suggestion is that you ask your doctor for Paxil, which has been approved by the FDA for social anxiety. You might also want to see a cognitive-behavioral therapist for some strategies to help you with this issue.

The good news is that this is treatable and I am very glad you decided to do something about it. Let me know if you have further questions.

Warm regards,