Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

I an raising my 3 year old grandchild. Her parents are using

I an raising my 3 year old grandchild. Her parents are using Chrystal Meth but from time to time they sober up and ask to see her. I have let them see her but am wondering whether or not that is a good thing. They are in her life for a few days and then disapper for weeks? Any thoughts?

If the child wants to see her parents and they are not using when they visit, I think it is OK for them to see her. You are the primary caregiver, so her sense of security comes from you. Her parents are much more like an aunt and uncle to her, not critical to her daily functioning.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Warm regards,