Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

How can a young woman beat an exercise and gym addiction accompanied

Customer Question

How can a young woman beat an exercise and gym addiction accompanied by anorexia?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.

Since you have had many different treatments for the eating disorder, I suggest a support group for accountability. You need to know that someone is watching what you do and that you have to check in and report your activities. It is possible that the hospital where you went for treatment has some aftercare groups or knows of resources in your area. I would start there.

You also need to stay in counseling. Get as much support as you can because this addiction is difficult to break and as you know it can be life threatening.

Anorexia is treatable, but you need to keep on your toes all the time. I wish you the very best. Let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Have tried support groups and individual counseling. I have pretty good control over the eating but it's the exercise and gym that I cannot seem to control and there is no-one in the area who can help me with counseling or other support. Isn't there some kind of help available somewhere out there for the gym/exercise overuse support? Can you give me the names or specific groups or counselors in my area? I have been unable to find any by myself.
I have asked Anna to take a look at this for you.