Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

Hi - I have a 11 year old grandaughter who just began (3 days

Hi - I have a 11 year old grandaughter who just began (3 days ago) an ocean swimming training class. Well known class and attended by some of her friends, she is having what appears to be anxiety or panic attack as night approaches. She used terms last night like, I feel depressed and never have before; I am jealous of everyone that is having a good time, but I felt good this morning and thought i was better. Her Mom and Dad are working with her and trying to help last night I went over some breathing techniques with her just to relax a bit. But we are all a little nervous now for/with her. What are some things we can do to help her? She is usually a good eater, sleeper, soccer player, student, but this just has her really worried.
It sounds like your granddaughter has a great deal of anxiety, which you already know, but it seems like it is connected to her performance. She appears to be very hard on herself.

This is difficult to treat because she is so performance oriented. I would emphasize that this class is just for fun and it doesn't' matter how well she does. If you talk to her about this you may get to the root of the problem and maybe she will confide what has her so worried.

Is she afraid of sharks? Is she afraid she won't do as well as her friends? Is it harder than she thought it would be? She needs to allow herself to be less than perfect at something, so give her permission to fail or at least do poorly.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Warm regards,