Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

my 19 year old daughter has just admitted that she has an eating

my 19 year old daughter has just admitted that she has an eating disorder to the doctor. Can you recommend what we do now. If we wait for the national health then we might have to wait 8 weeks minimum
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

Here is a good listing of information and treatment in the UK

She can go to 12 step meetings in person or online for peer support. (Eating disorders Anonymous)

Talk to her and ask her what would feel supportive to her. Don't take over, but support her getting in touch with her decisions and her own power. Most eating disordered people are looking for lost power and love in food/restricting food/binging on food/eliminating food and exercise and obsessing on "healthy" living. Don't ignore or badger, but try to find a middle ground as she comes to terms with this. She may not be as open to help in a week as she is today, so strike while the iron is hot.

Learn all that you can about her illness and how it's shown itself in her life. Ask her to tell you her secrets and rituals about food so that she can let go of the burden. Ask her to tell you her secret beliefs about food & fat. If she's willing to talk, let her, but don't get into talking endlessly about food like life is a menu planning episode.

Tell her how proud of her you are that she spoke up and that you're there to help her find a new way. Contact the peer support sites online and in person and see what kind of treatment is available to you in your area.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.