Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

I was just prescribed depakote for mood stabilizer psychiatrist

I was just prescribed depakote for mood stabilizer psychiatrist not sure if i have adhd or mood disorder and since i had a bad reaction to adderall he is trying depakote

I read all the side effects for the medicine and it scared me. How common are all those side effects? i am at 125 mg once a day
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

Those side effects lists can be very scary to read, but for the most part, people suffer very little from them. They have to list it all out for legal reasons. You're starting out on a good low dose, and you'll know in a month if you're going to have trouble with it. Take it easy and keep a positive attidude, as well as track of any side effects you experience. Talk with your doctor about them at each visit.

I know you've tried a few different medications lately, and that makes it hard to keep positive, but it will eventually work itself out - it just takes longer to find the right combination sometimes.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna