Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure
28863579

ok i have been readin some and migth think am higly functional

ok i have been readin some and migth think am higly functional atutistic. was reading how ppl normaly develop the skills to see other eyes movment and emotions. well tracking eyes is still not natural for me and when i was 10 the teacher said look at me and i was very confused and didnt understand then se said look at my eyes i guess i understood alitle then. and i cant keep a conversation going longer then 3 minits or soo thats sligtly imposible for me. even with my best friends. well from 1 grade to 5 grade or soo i alweys just did want my friends wantet to do only had 1 friend tho. anyways i read som about but there are some traits that fits and some not. and some not sure. think it was called sterotype i usaly makes alot of sounds and somthimes movement.
and the sameness change is soo hard for me. i atleast have to feel its well planned. maby restricted behavore as well only focus upp when doing my games if less its somthing very litle importen in the game. and it said somthing about sensory forexmple snuff i love using it but just thinking of the smell somthimes it feels like i have to puke almost or warm cold. said somthing abut vision as well dunno if thats normal can see visions like when thinking with eyes closed just opend eyes can shortof lookinto my mind with my eyes open and see pictures sortof. thats what i call daydreaming atleast. u just stumble on to it what do you think is it a posibility.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Blake replied 4 years ago.

Good morning, and welcome to JA.

It's important for you to know that it is both inappropriate and unethical to diagnose over the internet (and across the Atlantic Ocean!)... so I regret that providing a diagnosis isn't possible today.

However, that being said, it certainly sounds as though you've done your homework and have some valid questions to ask.

It is important to recognize that Autism falls along a spectrum - and that the behaviors range from mild to severe/profound, and can be different for every individual with autism. Add to this that there are a number of other disorders along this spectrum that might also qualify (Asperger's Disorder, Pervasive Developmental Disorder). Also, a number of non-Autistic disorders may, at certain times, present as autistic-like. These might include: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Nonverbal Learning Disorder (NLD), Severe Speech/Language Disorder, Tic Disorder/Tourettes, some anxiety disorders (like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)), Sensory Integration Disorder, etc.

The only way to really tease apart all of these variables is to work with a licensed mental health professional (LMHP) in your area. Here in the U.S., typically only Psychologists and Psychiatrists diagnose Autism - but I know of some other professionals (ranging from general physicians to social workers to speech/language pathologists) who may do so as well. It will be important to have someone with a working knowledge of both autism as well as development - because they will need to ask a lot of questions about your childhood. (This is not probing for deep dark secrets or anything - just so they understand your developmental trajectory - speech/language development, social skills, academics, sensory issues, etc.)

I believe that, even if you don't have an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), it might be work your while to work with an LMHP to better understand some of the questions you have. Your questions are valid and warrant working with a professional who has appropriate background to help guide you to your next steps.

Thanks. I hope this was helpful!

* FEEDBACK ENCOURAGED. Please contact me prior to leaving negative feedback so that we can resolve the matter. I am eager to work with all JA clients to provide them with useful/helpful answers. Thanks again.

Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Experience: Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure