Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

was perscribed xanax to counter side effects of prednisone...originally

was perscribed xanax to counter side effects of prednisone...originally taking 1.5 mg. off prednisone since June 4 and have been weaning from xanax...1 mg for a week, .5 for a week, .25 for a week, .25 every other day...This saturday I am supposed to I have to worry about siezures also I cannot sleep...what can I take for sleeping...have tried melatonin and that did not not want to go to a perscription....mainly concerned about siezures
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

With the step-down schedule you're on, you shouldn't have any siezures - that happens when people are on higher doses and stop abruptly. You've been on a good, steady schedule.

It may take a few weeks for your sleep cycle to return to normal. In the meantime, you have to train yourself to go to sleep just like you do with a baby.....set a regular time, start to slow all things down an hour before bedtime, limit caffiene, do things to calm yourself (read, shower, bath....) and then lay down and stay there. Your body will eventually catch up with you. I would also keep taking the melatonin 3mg an hour before bedtime (not the time released variety). It will help in repairing your sleep cycle.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Anna, How long should it take to return to my normal sleep cycle? I have been exercising and only have coffee in the morning ( around 6:00 A.M.) Last night I stayed in bed, but did not sleep. It is frustrating.

I think the disruption in people's sleep cycle is one of the more insidious side effects of medication changes. It's really hard to tell one person how long it will take. The shortest I've seen is 2 weeks and 6 weeks would be on the outside. Even if you can't sleep, resting is better than nothing, and it does help with the re-training.

Take care,