Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

our child was caught smearing her own feces on the wall at

our child was caught smearing her own feces on the wall at her preschool yesterday. She is 5 yrs old, potty trained since age 2, is developmentally advanced beyond her peers( can read and write and do basic math). She has never been sexually abused (to our knowledge). What can this be?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

If this is the first time it's happened and doesn't happen again, then it's just childhood curiosity. This is more common than people realize....that children explore their feces just like they do anything else that comes in or out of their bodies. Parents are usually loathe to talk about it, but it really does happen once for many children. I wouldn't worry about it.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna