Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

my mum believes that she hears noises all night and that the

my mum believes that she hears noises all night and that the man next door is responsible. People are trying to get into her flat (retirement flat) they are making drugs, practically everyone is in on it in the retirement block. Everyone is up to no good. Even my husband, apparently has tried to poison her. this started 5 years ago so I moved her to a retirement flat in my town and she was fine for about 6 weeks then it started again where she lives now, only its getting worse. She blocks her doorway every night so that "they cant get in"and hides her handbag and personal belongings, because she is convinced they have a key to get in. She is under a clinic and they have given her tablets in the past but she never takes them after a short time. At the moment she takes Seroquel but will only take one a day, she says she doen`t need them. She is also getting very forgetful, what should I do
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for vsisiting JA.

It sounds very much as if your Mum is becoming delusional, and I think she really needs to be re-evaluated to find out the cause and to see if she is in fact capable of taking proper care of herself.

If you can get her to see her GP and request a psychiatric evaluation and care plan - it may well be that you are looking at the onset of dementia, in which case she may well need additional medication. Secondly, if at all possible you ned to monitor and if necessary control her medication use.

Finally I am seriously concerned about being told to tkae Seroquel 'to help her sleep' on two counts (a) Seroquel is NOT a 'sleeping pill - it is a powerful ant-psychotic and (2) If you Mum is suffering from dementia, she should DEFINITIVELY NOT be prescribed Seroquel. Please see here:

Please see you GP asap and get all of this clarified.

Best wishes,