Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

My 26 year old son, a grad student, was hospitalized last month

Customer Question

My 26 year old son, a grad student, was hospitalized last month with a bipolar disorder in a manic state. He responded very well to olanzapine but stopped taking it last week and had a relapse, and is now hospitalized again. What is the experience regarding recovery in such situations when the medication is administered again?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for visiting JA.

As in many other disorders, adequate control of bi-polar symptoms depends very much on strict compliance with the medication regime, as you have just seen from your recent experience.

Usually, when proper medication is restored, the desired results are achieved quite rapidly.

It is essential that when your son comes home that you try to make sure that he keeps to his medication to avoid a recurrence of this unfortunate incident.

Best wishes,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I expected more specific information about the effects of discontinuing Olanzapine (Zyprexa) and then resuming it, and how long it takes for its full effect to be achieved.
Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.
Right! When one discontinues Zyprexa, the concentration of active ingredient (olanzipine) in the body diminishes over a period of days. If Zyprexa is discontinued suddenly, psychotic symptoms can be drastically worsened, and some very unpleasant side effects are commonly experienced.

Normally, after resumption it is effective very quickly, with some improvement within 24 hours in some cases, and up to a week or so in others.

You cann access very detailed information here: