Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure
28863579

THE LAST QUESTION,VANISHED.WHEN I WAS ABOUT TO CORRECT A SPELLING.BUT

THE LAST QUESTION,VANISHED.WHEN I WAS ABOUT TO CORRECT A SPELLING.BUT ONCE AGAIN,CAN A PERSON WHO IS NOW LARGELY OF GAY ORIENTATION,SUCH AS MYSELF.NEVERTHELESS,BEEN ALMOST 100% HETERO-SEXUAL(SO IT SEEMED) IN THEIR EARLY ADOLESENCE?AS WAS I.

Good morning. Welcome to JA.

I see that you have posted two questions - both of which seem to be very similar. I will answer this one.

Sexuality, particularly during adolescence, is very fluid. Research has indicated (a) that very few people are 100% heterosexual or 100% homosexual even at any one point in time and (b) that most people experience a range of sexual expression across their lifespans - meaning that it is not "unnatural" for an individual to express their sexuality differently at age 15, 25, 35... ...85 (etc.)

So - it is absolutely within the realms of "normal" (a term most psychologists don't like... how about "typical") that an individual who identifies as "gay" or "predominantly gay" as an adult identified differently when younger - particularly as an early adolescent. There is nothing unusual or atypical about this presentation and is, in fact, more often the norm of many adult gay men (to a lesser degree women).

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you! <PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT>