Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

I have had an eating disorder and im stuck. I have been desperately

Customer Question

I have had an eating disorder and im stuck. I have been desperately seeking a job since graduation, my (now ex) boyfriend has moved to a diffrent country... And I have some major and pretty unbearable family issues as well. I am very depressed and lonely and so my eating disorder has resurfaced big time.

I stay up all night researching & applying for jobs, binge eating, purging, hating everything. During the day I'm restricting to fruit/veges & spending 1-1.5hr in the gym. That's it. That's my life.
I live alone so it's very easy to keep this up. My weight fluctuates about ten pounds on a monthly basis.
I don't really have any friends close by, the people who occasionally invite me out are almost always stood up... My whole being determined on how much I consumed that day, the number on the scale etc
I have tried, failed, numerous times to put myself on a shedule to eat/sleep at normal times etc but I always fail, as i feel stuck and pointless. I really need some practical advice.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. It sounds like your life has become very unmanageable due to your eating disorder. You didn't mention that you have ever sought a therapist or treatment for your eating disorder. This is not something that people can manage on their own. There is a saying "Your best thinking is what got you here". With that said, you will need others to hold you accountable for your behaviors. Right now it sounds like you are very isolated and have no one to 'call' you on your behaviors.

I know you said you need some practical advice to help you with this but this is not an issue that can be solved without help from others. That's why the CBT and DBT self help books weren't effective. I would recommend finding a specialist in your area that can assess you properly and recommend the best treatment for you. You may need individual therapy and possibly a 30-60 day treatment center that can help you learn how to live life differently. A therapist and possibly a treatment center will not only teach you how to manage your binging and purging but the core issues and the emotional triggers related to your self-image and how to cope with life's stressors and feelings more effectively.

You can Call the National Eating Disorders Association’s toll-free hotline at 1-800-931-2237 (Mon–Fri, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. PST) for help if you have trouble finding specialists in your area.

I wish you the best. I know it's hard to ask for help but you already started by asking your question here. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification of this answer.

Take care,