Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

My Brother is in the 1st stages of divorcing his Alcoholic

My Brother is in the 1st stages of divorcing his Alcoholic Wife. She has been an alcoholic for 19 out of the 26 year marriage. She is now drunk 90% of the time. His Lawyer is saying she is 'Mentally Ill'. I would appreciate your comments. Many Thanks....Lynda
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using I am sorry to hear that your brother is going through this. This Diagnostic and Statistical Manual Of Mental Health Disorders is used to diagnose mental health disorders. In this manual, alcohol dependence is a diagnosable mental disorder. I imagine this is why the lawyer is referring to her as mentally ill.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification of this answer.

Take care,