How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Doctor Blake Your Own Question

Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 146
Experience:  Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Doctor Blake is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am 32 years women. i suffer from sob or hypervantilation

Resolved Question:

i am 32 years women. i suffer from sob or hypervantilation anxiety in my daily routine since 15 days. but i get peaceful slleep at night but when i get up i feel i can not breath. it effects my eating habbits too.i cry without any reason that i am ill.i dont want think about it but i am not doing it.i have a happy family life.i did mastry in psychology and i know i am fine.i am helpless.please help me to overcome this effects me a lot in morning time about 9am to is not certain time however i can say it is more worse time in a full day. i request u please save me .i begging u please save me.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Blake replied 6 years ago.

Good morning.


I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time right now.


Please understand that it would be inappropriate and unethical to diagnose over the internet (and across the Atlantic ocean). This being said, your first course of action is to be certain that there is no medical cause that could explain your hyperventilation. An initial conversation with your GP will help to rule out any physiological/medical causes.


If your GP has ruled out any/all medical causes for this, you should discuss with him Hyperventilation Syndrome. This is *not* a mental illness, but is considered to be many in the mental health field to be a particular manifestation of a Panic Disorder.


I have personally treated this condition with a young man (aged 13) and found using traditional CBT techniques, he was able to return completely to normal functioning within 5 sessions. (Your case may be different - but this is very *very* treatable!)


PANIC DISORDER has been described as a catastrophic misinterpretation of mildly elevated physiological responses to the environment. It is considered one of the Anxiety Disorders and, as such, is felt to be related to applying the wrong response to a given situation. That is, fear is an adaptive function that all animals (human and otherwise) are born with... it is not learned, it is innate. When fear (the response) comes at the right situation (a hungry saber-toothed tiger standing in front of you), you're doing GREAT! Fear makes you move (fight or run for your life)! When fear (the response) comes at the wrong situation (at the grocery store or on an elevator or driving down the highway, for example), you're not doing so great - and you need to relearn when/how to apply fear as originally intended.


Research has consistently demonstrated that treatment plus medication is more effective than medication alone or treatment alone for anxiety. Further research has shown that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is the most effective form of psychological treatment/intervention - particularly in dealing with anxiety disorders (like Panic Disorder).


A licensed psychologist/psychotherapist with specific training in CBT modalities would be able to address your concerns. I would encourage you to find a licensed mental health professional with whom to work, employing CBT. Be sure when you speak to a possible licensed mental health professional that s/he employs CBT techniques - not just "influences from CBT" or "an eclectic approach."


With regard to medical treatment, many/most physicians appear to begin with a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) to treat anxiety. Because I am not an MD, it is beyond my purview to address medication concerns, however.


Again, the mantra of years of research says: medication or treatment alone is not as effective as both working in tandem. Some research has also indicated that insight-oriented talk therapy is counter-productive with some forms of anxiety disturbance... it actually exacerbates the condition(s) [This is especially true with Panic]. So, seek out a CBT therapist who will provide targeted, efficient, and effective therapy - not someone who signs you as a "lifer." If you're going to a therapist for years, something about the therapy isn't working.


Your psychiatrist *may* know of a CBT licensed mental health professional. Please make certain, however, that they employ CBT practices.


If $$ is a super-big issue, you might want to consider contacting your local Community Mental Health Center. These tend to offer free or greatly reduced cost mental health services, including therapy and/or med management, depending upon your ability to pay.


Thanks. I hope you're well and that this was helpful.


* FEEDBACK ENCOURAGED. Please contact me prior to leaving negative feedback so that we can resolve the matter. I am eager to work with all JA clients to provide them with useful/helpful answers. Thanks again.


Doctor Blake and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions