Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

I believe i have ADD. I recently started taking methylin er

I believe i have ADD. I recently started taking methylin er but i feel like all it is doing is making me super calm and not focus any better would a amphetamine based pill work better for me? i have been looking at vyvanse (my friend uses it and loves it) and so i was wondering is it is more effective for ADD than methylin er and what are the differences?

Methylin is a central nervous system medication and thus it works in the same function as any other stimulant like ritalin. Vyvanse is also a a stimulant. Different meds have different effects on different individual. As I said both vyvanse and methylin are both Central Nervous System Based Stimulants. There is no way to see what is more effective until you you try it.. However all the meds you mentioned are stimulants. If they help to induce calmness which allows you to focus one would think that they are all more effective as this is how the medication allows you to be less hyper and more focus more effectively. Best wishes and good look.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask! If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you in the future, just put "Ralph" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.