Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure
28863579

hi i feel depress what can i do to not feel like i have

Customer Question

hi
i feel depress what can i do to not feel like i have a cat that is hiding from me he did this to me once other time but not for this long i can't aford to take him to a vet. i just want to feel happy agian what can i do
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  agilityaddict replied 6 years ago.

When a cat hides, and doesn't normally do this it is often a sign that something is medically wrong. Right now there is a chain of veterinary hospitals that is offering a free initial exam. They have branches in every state and there is a directory on their website. It is also where you sign up for the free exam coupon. Here is the link:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer/free_promo_google?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=vca%20animal%20hospital&utm_campaign=Top%20Performer&gclid=CMCQ7PHlkKICFUTF3Aodr0Hmaw

If you check into this so your cat can be seen by a vet hopefully it will make you feel better.

If you have further questions let me know.

Thank you and best wishes.

Lynn
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: to far away from me for the vets. i also have depressed with nephew in jail and a niece that in jail also have a couple of death in family.
to far away from me for the vets. i also have depressed with nephew in jail and a niece that in jail also have a couple of death in family
Expert:  Doctor Blake replied 6 years ago.

Good morning.

I'm sorry that you're going through a rough patch right now. I certainly wouldn't diagnose over the internet (neither appropriate nor ethical), but I do have some advice regarding the proper treatments for depression.

Research has consistently demonstrated that treatment plus medication is more effective than medication alone or treatment alone for depression and/or anxiety. Further research has shown that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is the most effective form of psychological treatment/intervention - particularly in dealing with mood disorders (like depression).

A licensed psychologist/psychotherapist with specific training in CBT modalities would be able to address your concerns. I would encourage you to find a licensed mental health professional with whom to work, employing CBT. Be sure when you speak to a possible licensed mental health professional that s/he employs CBT techniques - not just "influences from CBT" or "an eclectic approach."

With regard to medical treatment, many/most physicians appear to begin with a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) to treat anxiety. Because I am not an MD, it is beyond my purview to address medication concerns, however.

Again, the mantra of years of research says: medication or treatment alone is not as effective as both working in tandem. Some research has also indicated that insight-oriented talk therapy is counter-productive with some forms of mood and/or anxiety disturbance... it actually exacerbates the condition(s) So, seek out a CBT therapist who will provide targeted, efficient, and effective therapy - not someone who signs you as a "lifer." If you're going to a therapist for years, something about the therapy isn't working.

Your psychiatrist *may* know of a CBT licensed mental health professional. Please make certain, however, that they employ CBT practices.

If $$ is a super-big issue, you might want to consider contacting your local Community Mental Health Center. These tend to offer free or greatly reduced cost mental health services, including therapy and/or med management, depending upon your ability to pay.

Thanks. I hope you're well and that this was helpful.

* FEEDBACK ENCOURAGED. Please contact me prior to leaving negative feedback so that we can resolve the matter. I am eager to work with all JA clients to provide them with useful/helpful answers. Thanks again.

Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Experience: Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure