Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure
28863579

Have you heard of a condition called Paranoid Hypertention

Have you heard of a condition called Paranoid Hypertention? My Mother said her brother was diagnosed with it and I seem to have the same symptoms. I have tried to look it up but can't find anything. Your help would be appreciated.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
What are your symptoms?

Was it paranoid schizophrenia that they have?

The term paranoid hypertension is not a mental health diagnosis.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No schizophrenia as I recall. Just the term Paranoid Hypertension. Was used to describe my Mom's brother. He has since passed away, but he had to take lithium every day of his life for his manic-depressive behavior. My symptoms include not being able to express feelings. For instance if I come to a stop light in my car , I will think the person in the next car is looking at me but I can't look at him to see. I have tried to rationalize my condition, but can't come to any reliable conclusions. Is it an inability to express hostility because I can't express homosexuality? I don't ever have any homosexuality desires so it is confusing.
Expert:  Doctor Blake replied 6 years ago.

Good morning.

Thanks for writing.

You have many questions, which I will attempt to answer for you.

Within the field of mental health, there is no term called "paranoid hypertension." Paranoia is associated with thought disorder/psychosis (such as Schizophrenia or, in some cases, Bipolar (manic-depressive)). Hypertension is the medical term for "high blood pressure." While I suppose it is possible that being paranoid could contribute to having high blood pressure, it is not something that is treated (or diagnosed) within the mental health field.

You expressed some concerns about your own condition, and I regret to inform you that it would be inappropriate (and unethical) to provide a diagnosis over the internet. Some of what you describe - struggles with expressing feelings, feeling that the guy next to you at the stop light might be looking at you - falls within the range of "normal." If you find these issues to be debilitating, reduces your functioning, or preoccupies you - then it might be worth your time to see a licensed mental health professional (LMHP). They would be able to clarify your diagnostic questions for you - and make treatment recommendations if necessary. (Please understand that diagnostic work is best done in person with an LMHP... since they have a number of diagnostic protocols that are typically followed - which cannot be completed over the internet.) Your GP should be able to refer you to an LMHP.

Finally - it's important to note that homosexuality is not related to mental illness. Homosexuality is no longer considered a mental illness nor does it cause any other mental illnesses. (Same with heterosexuality or bisexuality, etc.)

I hope this has been helpful.

Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Experience: Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure