Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure

dear doc ,i am dating a girl that has been taking xanax for

dear doc ,i am dating a girl that has been taking xanax for 7 years and drinks regularly.the more she drinks, the more aggitated she gets. one night she had 4 shots of yagermeister and 8 beers. her aggitation turned to rage and she was uncontrollable. i tried to restrain her but it was like trying to restrain a rabid raccoon on steroids. by the time i did get her calmed down i was black and blue and had been bitten 16 or more times.affraid it might happen again but i love her
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Blake replied 6 years ago.

Good morning.

You have some legitimate concerns to address in your posting. I appreciate that you provided a bit of background about the issues you're currently facing - but it would be helpful if you could help us focus on your specific question(s).

What advice are you specifically requesting from JA? How can we be helpful? If you would reply with 1-3 specific questions, that will help to target our advice to help your situation.

Thanks... and please know that responding with additional information doesn't cost you anything - it just helps us to give you better service.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can i expect further burst of uncontrollable rage ? what types of rage and hostility have you read or heard about people who mix large quantities of booze with xanax having taken it for 7 years? friends tell me I should leave her because there is no telling what she may do on her next drunkfest could the next eppisode be worse? also she has been on hormone medication which if she misses becomes more aggitated anyway she also is on blood pressure medicine.

Thanks for clarifying.

Can you expect further bursts of uncontrollable rage? Well, I can't predict that it absolutely would happen, but I would be really surprised if this episode was the only one that would happen.

Have I hear or read about people having rage/hostility after mixing booze, xanax, (and other medications)? Yes... absolutely.

While it would be inappropriate (and unethical) to diagnose someone over the internet (through a third party), I have significant concerns about your girlfriend's substance use patterns. There are a number of warning signs that may suggest she has a serious problem with drugs and/or alcohol.

She would be best served by coming clean with her doctor and letting him/her know about her drug and alcohol use. The physician can recommend appropriate mental health and/or medical treatment for her.

For your safety, in the future, if your GF becomes this violent again, I would encourage you to:

- call the police <or>

- take her to an emergency room for treatment.

...this is for your own safety as well as her safety.

Please understand, as I believe you do, her behavior is *not* typical and may very warrant attention by the medical and mental health community.

I hope this helps.

***FEEDBACK IS WELCOME. If you have good remarks, please leave positive feedback! If you have concerns, please contact me first to see if we can get you better service. Bonuses are always welcome.