Annie Murdach
Annie Murdach, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Master's degree in Educational Psychology and Counselor Education. LCPC in Illlinois
24985475

Hello there, I would like some advice on what is the most

Hello there,

I would like some advice on what is the most suitable type of therapy for the type of emotional issues I am encountering. I am a 40 y-o woman and in my current relationship, I can feel an extreme sense of low self-worth and low self-esteem when information around my partner’s ex-partners comes up. I feel I am not good enough, not beautiful enough etc and feel extremely upset. This is a pattern I have experienced in most of my relationships since late teens. As a teen, I can remember having low self-worth from looking at models in magazines and my father was not giving me much attention when I was growing up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated so that I can address this issue.

Many thanks,
Lauren
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Annie Murdach replied 6 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using Just Answer.

Based on what you have described here, I would recommend finding a therapist who has training in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT is a type of therapy that looks at how our thoughts cause our feelings and behaviors, rather than external things, such as people, situations, and events. The benefit of this type of treatment is that we can change the way we think in order to feel and act better even if the situation does not change. CBT can be a “quicker” form of treatment in that results are usually seen rapidly. Since you have learned to think a certain way about yourself and your body, I think this type of treatment would be beneficial.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXXie,

Thank you for your reply.

I have a couple of questions:

• 1. How does CBT differ from NLP?
  • 2. Just to confirm: CBT will allow resolving the core issue (i.e. improving self-esteem = the way I think about myself) and learning how to change patterns when reacting to an event?

Thank you.

Laurence

Hello-

Both approaches are similar.

NLP looks at the deeper structure of being a human being and the process by which those invisible structures are transformed into the surface structures which determine how we interact with the world. It focuses on actions between people and actions within the self.

CBT looks to promote positive change in individuals. CBT therapists identify and treat difficulties arising from an individual's irrational thinking, misperceptions, dysfunctional thoughts, and faulty learning. The goal is to restructure one's thoughts, perceptions, and beliefs to remove restrictions on performance and promote "well being". Such restructuring facilitates behavioral and emotional change.

Hope this helps. They are a little confusing.