Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

I find it very difficult to communicate to my parents that

I find it very difficult to communicate to my parents that their behaviour towards me is often insensitive and hurtful. They are going through a hard time because of things happening in my two brothers' lives, and I don't want to add to their hurt etc., but I am feeling taken for granted. I know I'm in control of my emotions and that basically it's not their issue but mine, but at the moment I am heading for distancing myself from them in order to avoid pain. Any suggestions?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today. I'm sorry to hear that you are having to deal with this situation with your parents. It sounds like it has been somewhat hurtful for you in terms of how they have been treating you. You are right that you are in charge of your emotions. However that doesn't mean that they don't have any responsibility in this situation. It sounds like you have tried to set boundaries and they haven't responded well. So I think your options at this point are to try to talk with them about how you are feeling, or distance yourself from them for awhile. It's possible to communicate that you are hurt without blaming them for it - but they may not take it that way. So guilt may be inevitable. But the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you are responsible for yourself, and if you need to distance yourself in order to take care of yourself better, then that is what you need to do. Try to talk with them, and then do what you need to for yourself.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara