Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

My wife had a cardioverion op last week and all is fine.However

My wife had a cardioverion `op` last week and all is fine.However she is in a state of shock / anxiety and keeps re living the experience,not sleeping well and generally in a panic..She has seen her Doctor who has referred her to a councellor but cannot get an appointment until next wek. I understand this is quite a common reaction to this treatment.
Can you offer any assistance / suggestion please. Peter Roast phone 01621 891234
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.
Peter - thanks for visiting JA.

Firstly, we are not allowed to contact you by phone.

Secondly, until your wife can get to her appintment for counselling - which she should insist is for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy - medication is the only answer.

If she has reacted badly to Valium, there is a whole spectrim of anti-anxiety medications available - I suggest you contact you GP and let him know about her reaction to Valium right away, so that he can presribe something else.

I know it's going to be unpleasant for her in the short term, but she should get over this soon. Meantime, be sure just to listen to her concerns and be as supportive as you can.

Best wishes,
NormanM