Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

Hi, I tend to get nervous around women that I am attracted

I tend to get nervous around women that I am attracted to.
How can I move past this?

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today. I'm sorry that you are having this issue and that it is bothering you. However, it is very normal to get nervous around people you are attracted to. That is a physiological response that you probably don't have much control over. However, the best way to work on dealing with situations like this more effectively is to imagine the situation and imagine yourself responding in the way that you want to. Close your eyes and picture everything in great detail. Imagine seeing the woman and going up and talking to her. Then imagine yourself being calm, composed, etc. - however you want to be. The more you "practice" this in your mind, the more likely you will be to be able to act that way when the situation arises. This technique is proven effective for many types to situations that cause anxiety and stress.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara