Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

Im Bipolar and have been for 2 yrs. My question to you is

Customer Question

I'm Bipolar and have been for 2 yrs. My question to you is I have been taking Seroquel XR and can no longer afford $293.00 a month. I had my Dr. Yee change me to 300mgs. of Lithium and it makes me shake so bad I can't even write my own name. Can you please recommend something that I can afford. The other bad part is that DEPRESSION runs in my family. Please, Please help me get past this. I take care of my invalid Mom for the past 5 years and it is taking a toll on me. I thought of suicide but can't leave my MOm with my husband, that wouldn't be fair to him.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for visiting JA.

If you would prefer to use seroquel, but cannot afford it, they may well be able to help you at this website:

Secondly, meds alone are not the complete answer. I’m going to suggest that you would benefit greatly from a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is a form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way and is brief compared with most other therapies. I know money may be a problem, but there is a link to a free selfp help saite at the end of this note.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also cause the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here: