Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

Hi I was prescribed venlafaxine HCL by my breast doctor who

Customer Question

I was prescribed venlafaxine HCL by my breast doctor who does not want me to take hormones anymore. I was shocked that she would give me a prescription for an anti depressant to replace the benefits of hormone theraphy which is beneficial to state of mind as well as hot flashes, bone loss, etc. I am afraid to take an anti depressant for fear I will lose my passion and personality. However, I am not the happiest person these days and have contemplated quitting my job because it stresses me out. (I'm a teacher and have a good job) Sooo, I just want to know if I am going to be a zombie. What can I expect?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.

Venlafaxine is a very good antidepressant and is generally well tolerated. You cannot take hormone therapy because many breast cancers are enhanced by estrogen. The venlafaxine will help with your stress and anxiety. There is no reason to believe you will lose either your passion or your personality. You will definitely not be a zombie. You have nothing to lose by trying it for a week or two. If you don't like the way you feel, you can always stop.

I encourage you to try. If it helps you to cope with your stress, you will be so very happy that you did. Why not give it a try and see if you feel better?

I hope this has been helpful. I wish you the very best of luck.