Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I have not been professionally diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, but

Customer Question

I have not been professionally diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, but my family and friends highly
suggested I explore the possibilty. Many of the symptoms fit to a tee. Also, I have a constant cycling of anxiety which wrecks havoc with the other symptoms of ADD/ADHD and it feels like it completely disrupts my ability to function normally (or as normally as I can). Right now, with so much going on in my life and the many demands facing me I start to feel almost frozen-like. How do I find a way to get through my days until I can see my family doctor or someone (professional) who can treat my problem?
thanking you in advance, Troubled
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Your counselor should be able to steer you in the right direction as far a referring you to a psychiatrist who can treat your ADD/ADHD as well as your anxiety. If you have a lot going on right now, you need to do some relaxation on your own. Breathing is one way to slow down and help you "thaw" a bit. Whenever the demands start to make you anxious, stop for five minutes and just breathe. Take slow breathes in through your nose and hold it for about four seconds, then slowly exhale. What that does is tell your brain (tricks it actually) into thinking you are calm. Once the brain gets the message it stops emitting the hormones that are causing your anxiety to worsen and making you feel "frozen". You have to focus on the breathing, let everything else fade. Takes practice but you can do it anytime and it works. As far as who would be able to treat ADD/ADHD you would be best served by seeing a psychiatrist for the medication component as well as continuing therapy with a cognitive behavioral therapist who can help you with the everyday management of living with ADD/ADHD as well as helping you with your anxiety.
Please click accept and leave feedback.