Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

I am 21. Male. Finishing my law degree at university and actively

Customer Question

I am 21. Male. Finishing my law degree at university and actively involved with clubs and societies. I have a diverse group of friends and some which whom I'm quite close with. I come from a loving family. I would consider myself from an upper middle household. I've never had a proper relationship and I think I get lonely because of this. Despite having a handful of friends, I find it hard to get close to people at a personal level. I should be happy but am still unsatisfied with life. I think I am depressed, but unsure what it is. But when I look at others that are worse off, I feel that I might be over exaggerating my feelings. I keep myself buried in work and keep busy to avoid thinking too much as this always leads to being depressed. What should I do?

A
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

When a life 'looks good' but doesn't feel good, clinical depression is often the cause. It takes an inch or two off the top of everything in your life, which leads to feelings of 'flatness', which I hear in you. You're doing all the right things, but not feeling the success or closeness in the relationships. Hard work and busyness can also mask depression.

Let me give you a link to look at. If it fits, then go to your doctor and talk about your symptoms so that you can be evaluated for treatment. You'll know within a couple weeks of being on medication if you're in the right ballpark. Many folks like you are pretty blown away by how energized & connected they feel once their depression is treated, and wish they'd have done it sooner.

Depression

Congrats on your accomplishment!

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna