Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

My daughter, age 17 has severe depression. She dropped out

Customer Question

My daughter, age 17 has severe depression. She dropped out of school last fall, severved all ties with all friends, and now barily leaves the house and rarely gets dressed. She can never get past thinking about dying, although she doesn't make any plans. I really don't know how to help her. She refuses to go to any appointment that I make or try any suggestion. We are planning to go to Florida this summer and I was hoping she would see a doctor there. Have any suggestions? She is against taking medications, I am hoping the sun will boost her mood enought to want to get better and then realize she may need meds.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

Good Evening,

Would you please clarify so I can try to formulate my reply-

Has she given up on seeking only psychiatric help or all medical help?

Would you consider trying involuntary commitment for her or looking into Residential Mental Health Treatment?

Do you carry commercial behavioral health insurance.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She is so frustrate in life that sometimes she has given up on trying to get better and other times she flat out refuses everything. She will see the doctor for other aliments. I haven't been able to get her to a counselor in 6 months. She was in acute care facility for four months. The facility concentrated on drugs and alcohol patients that I don't think it helped her at all. The residential facilities i have looked into do not want to take someone over 17 years. Some that I have looked into want the patient to at least be interested in getting better.

My insurance really doesn't cover much mental health.

Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

If she is open to seeing other professionals, perhaps she may be willing to have a hormonal panel test by her OB doc. Some women benefit from taking Yaz for PMDD symptoms (which, helps lift their depression) Another thing to look into is her thyroid function (if she had not had this tested recently) Something else that may be causing depressive like symptoms is the existence of a sleep disorder such as sleep apnea. Vitamin D deficiency is another possibility.

If you believe that she is against medication in general, a site offering more natural approach to mood disorders is truehope.com

You are correct- the client must have some desire to get better. Maybe an intervention with close family and friends can offer he some emotional support.

Meanwhile, try to find out what her aspirations/short term goals may be and point out to her that her mood/behavior is getting it the way of obtaining those. People generally want to be happy instead of suffer. Ask her if there is anything that makes her happy and that she would be willing to get better in order to get that.