Annie Murdach
Annie Murdach, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Master's degree in Educational Psychology and Counselor Education. LCPC in Illlinois
24985475

My son (36) is having a manic episode. He is off his meds.

Customer Question

My son (36) is having a manic episode. He is off his meds. He is in the valley right now after being way up, angry and verbally abusive. He is not taking care of hygiene but thinks about taking a bath. I do not think he is sleeping nor is he eating much. He denies that there is anything wrong with him. He has been hospitalized three times in the past but admitted himself each time. Help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Annie Murdach replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using Just Answer.

It might be best to notify your son's doctor about his noncompliance with meds and current mental state. Since people with mood disorders can be unpredictable at times, he needs to have some intervention. The doctor should be able to direct you in the best way to proceed with getting treatment, or give you a referral to a mental health professional (if one is not already involved).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry this took so long to get here. We had to go ahead and admit him to a mental health facility. I had hoped for an alternate suggestion.