Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

im a PT so i have a background in the medical field. my best

Customer Question

i'm a PT so i have a background in the medical field. my best friend, who is male has an extensive drug abuse history consisting of meth, cocaine, marijuana, & EtOH for about 5 years during high school & just after.he is hispanic, an only child and comes from a suprisingly not supportive family.his parents divorced when he was 18.he had a few run ins with the law for posession, speeding, etc during his drug time.his parents finally had enough and told him was going to have to go to rehab. instead of going to rehab, he joined the marine corp in 2001(he was born in 1980, graduated early with good grades in 1997).he came home from the corps and became friends with me in march of 2007.since that time we have become best friends.he is often violent,shows no emotion & is sexually promiscuious amongst other issues. i have been researching limbic system issues from drug use and have discoverd psychopathy. based on hare's checklist he fits nearly all of the issues if it is drug induced. he lies for no reason other than to lie; he is very superficial, charming, manipulative, has ABSOLUTELY no guilt or remores no matter the pain he causes other people - he thinks he does nothing wrong. basically he thinks he is invincible. bored all the time. even when we have plans, he just pops up and says, im going out - im bored. parasitic - alwasys makes me pay for things if he has the money or not, stays at my house when he has his own, uncountable sexual partners along with unprotected sex and has already contracted herpes; no goals, not in school, impulsive, no responsibility for his actions or anything - has a job, but still lives at home and drives moms car; i have also read that putting someone with this disorder in counselling could teach them how to blend in and mimic normal actions better instead of helping them. if thats the case, how can i help him. could this be what is wrong with him? i have also looked at other disorders such as bipolar - which he fits neither the manic nor depressive; antisocial personality disorder also sort of fits with teh avoidant, dependent but not the depressive or OCD / schizo. could you please help me help him. he wont admit that he has a problem. i know for a fact that is not normal for someone to not have any emotions.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
Antisocial is perfect fit. Also prognosis for change is near zero.